MENA 160 A1 Documentary Review Assignment
MENA 160 A1 – Religion of Islam
Dr. Maha Nassar
Documentary Review Assignment
Introduction: One of the things I love about teaching this class is that I am able to introduce you to so many different aspects of Islam and the wide variety of cultures and experiences of Muslims. There is so much more richness and depth than can be covered in a single course, so this is an opportunity for you to choose a topic related to Islam and Muslims that you would like to explore in a bit more depth. The documentaries below range in topic and geographic focus; some are more historically oriented, while others tackle contemporary issues.
Directions: Choose one of the following documentaries that you are interested in and write a review of it in 600-900 words (2-3 pages double-spaced). You review should not just be a summary of the documentary. Rather, it should include the following:
· One paragraph laying out the summary and purpose: Who is the main audience of this documentary? What are the main points or arguments of the documentary? What messages is it trying to convey?
· Two or three paragraphs explaining your critical evaluation: Was the documentary easy to understand? Were you convinced of its messages? Were there things you were skeptical or critical of? What surprised you? What was your overall opinion of the documentary, and would you recommend it to others?
· One or two paragraphs with lessons and additional questions you have: What is at least one new thing you learned about the religion of Islam and/or Muslim practice from watching this documentary? What specific questions about the religion of Islam and/or Muslim practice do you still have after watching this video? Are there specific weeks or topics in the syllabus where you think that your questions might be covered?
You can choose from any of the documentaries listed below. Your review should be uploaded to D2L by FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 10th AT 11:59PM.
Watch for free on YouTube (45-60 minutes each):
· “Science and Islam (part 1)”
· “Science and Islam (part 2)”
· “Science and Islam (part 3)”
· “An Islamic History of Europe” (Watch first 60 minutes only)
· “Islam in Africa”
· “Return to the Satellite Queens”
· “Islam in America”
· “Why Latinos are Converting to Islam” AND “In Chicago and Elsewhere, Latinos are Converting to Islam” AND “Latino Muslims in America” (Note: these three videos total about 45 minutes)
Watch for free through the UArizona library website (be sure you’re logged in with your NetID, then search for the title using quotation marks):
· “Going for Goals: Zanzibar Soccer Dreams”
· “Muslim Beauty Pageant and Me”
· “Private Revolution: Young, Female, Egyptian”
· “The Honest Struggle” (directed by Justin Mashouf, a UArizona graduate in Film Studies)
· “Welcome to the Mosque”
Documentary Review Assignment Rubric
How you will be graded:
Documentary Information __/5 points
· Gives the title of the documentary, who produced it (the name of the director, if available, or the name of the news organization), and the year of production, if available, or year uploaded to YouTube.
Summary and Purpose __/25 points
· Accurately summarizes the main ideas and topics discussed in the documentary. Who is the main audience of this documentary? What are the main points or arguments of the documentary? What message is it trying to convey?
Critical Evaluation __/30 points
· Provides insightful critical evaluation of the documentary. Was the documentary easy to understand? Were you convinced of the its messages? Were there things you were skeptical or critical of? What was your overall opinion of the documentary, and would you recommend it to others?
Lessons and Questions about Islam ___/20 points
· Clearly states lessons and questions. What is at least one new thing you learned about the religion of Islam and/or Muslim practice from watching this documentary? What specific questions about the religion of Islam and/or Muslim practice do you still have after watching this video? Are there specific weeks or topics in the syllabus where you think that your questions might be covered?
Organization __/10 points
· The review’s organization makes sense and aids the reader’s understanding of the content. The documentary review is divided into multiple paragraphs that summarize each main idea and give supporting evidence. Transitions between ideas are smooth, so that each sentence flows into the next.
Spelling, Grammar, and Style __/10 points
· Uses correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation. The writer’s style and voice remain consistent throughout the piece.
The post MENA 160 A1 Documentary Review Assignment appeared first on Essay Solving.
Write my Essay. Premium essay writing services is the ideal place for homework help or essay writing service. if you are looking for affordable, high quality & non-plagiarized papers, click on the button below to place your order. Provide us with the instructions and one of our writers will deliver a unique, no plagiarism, and professional paper.
Get help with your toughest assignments and get them solved by a Reliable Custom Papers Writing Company. Save time, money and get quality papers. Buying an excellent plagiarism-free paper is a piece of cake!
All our papers are written from scratch. We deliver high quality assignment answers to students.